7.23.2011

not-so Green Smoothie

We all know we need to eat more greens right?

Dark, leafy greens... as in a big salad.  But really, how often can we (and do we?!) eat big green salads, especially without dousing them in not-so-good-for-us salad dressing?!

Well, here's the solution...  Green smoothies!


Yep, I said green smoothies.  I know, I know...  green is not the most appetizing color of a beverage, and in fact this smoothie is not even 'green'...  but I am talking more about the philosophy of this smoothie than of the actual color.

Green smoothies are about upping your daily intake of dark leafy greens.  All it takes is some greens (anything really...  the darker the better!) and some fruit!  Simple, right?

This smoothie is a mixture of banana, frozen berries, mixed greens/spinach & a bit of ice and water to thin it out.  That's it!


It's really more of a method than a recipe...

Throw some fruit in a blender, add in as much 'greens' as you can fit, blend until smooth, add in a bit more fruit, water or juice if the greens are too strong and enjoy a healthier you.  That's it!

The bonus:  My two-year old and 7-month-old both LOVE these smoothies!  (As do I!  Although I can't seem to get my husband or 9-year old to try them!)

We try to 'green smoothie' as close to every day as we possibly can!

Green Smoothie Recipe #1 (berry)

Ingredients:
1 banana
2 big handfuls or more mixed greens/spinach
1-1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
1/2-1 cup water

Directions:
Blend until as smooth as you'd like... using more or less water to get the consistency you want!

or try this one:

Green Smoothie Recipe #2 (tropical)

Ingredients:
1 banana
2 big handfuls or more mixed greens/spinach
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 cup mango or other tropical fruit nectar or puree

Directions:
Blend until as smooth as you'd like... using a bit of water to get the consistency you want!

(I use my food processor for these because my blender broke...  and it works great!)


Related Posts with Thumbnails