3.19.2010

mama & baby-friendly smoothie

I am always looking for healthy toddler-friendly foods to serve my son.  And since I don't like to make more work for myself than necessary (who does?), it's always a plus if I can enjoy the same foods myself as well!

Now, I have spinach in this smoothie for many reasons.  One reason is that Bjørn and I are both anemic and need all the iron we can get.  But also, why not sneak more veggies in our foods (for him and for me!) as often as we can?!  I promise you won't be able to tell that it's in there, and you will be so much healthier for it!

I also use that V8 fruit 100% juice stuff, because again...  I like the added veggies.  But feel free to use whatever juice you have on hand!!

Oh, and if you are using something other than plain yogurt, you can leave out the additional sugar in the recipe.  You won't need it!
Mama & Baby-Friendly Smoothie Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup 100% juice
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1/3 cup baby or regular oatmeal (I use baby because of the added iron!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar, any kind
2 small bananas (or 1 1/2 large), broken into big chunks
1 cup frozen berries
1 cup frozen chopped spinach

Directions:
Place ingredients in order into a blender.  Blend on high until smooth and well combined.  Serve!

This smoothie can be easily made ahead and frozen...  Defrost in the fridge overnight!


Related Posts with Thumbnails