4.17.2011

creamy lemon pasta with mushrooms & asparagus


Spring is finally here!!  We've had a few days of sunshine, and when I went to the store the other day, I found these beauties...

This is not my picture...  I grabbed it from here.  But I promise my asparagus looked just like this!  :o)

I was so excited to see beautiful, thin, tender asparagus...  I just couldn't wait to get home and start cooking!

What I came up with is a creamy, bright pasta dish...  perfect for showcasing fresh spring veggies.

You could easily substitute fresh broccoli for the asparagus...  and I would probably add chicken to this, if I wasn't making it for just myself.  :o)


Creamy Lemon Pasta with Mushrooms & Asparagus Recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb short pasta (penne or rotini work well!)
3-4 tablespoons butter
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
2 tablespoons heavy cream
salt & pepper, to taste
juice of one large lemon
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook the pasta, according to package directions, until al dente.  Scoop out about a cup-full of the pasta water and then drain the pasta.

While the pasta is cooking...  in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and then sauté the mushrooms until golden.  Toss in the asparagus and sauté until just tender.  Stir in the garlic and cooking for about a minute.

Turn off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Continue to stir until smooth, adding in the cooked pasta and a  bit of pasta water, 1/4 cup or so at a time, until everything is nicely coated.

Top with more fresh parmesan, if you'd like, and serve with garlic bread!


Related Posts with Thumbnails