3.26.2012

chewy lemon bars

These sweet, easy lemon bars (cutely dubbed "Lemonies" by the original author!) are what I would imagine the love child of a brownie and a lemon bar to be.

The tangy sweet flavor of a lemon bar, with the dense, rich texture of a brownie...  all covered in a sweet-tart lemon glaze! 

So delicious and so simple to throw together.


Lemony treats are my favorite.

I know I have a lot of favorites, but lemony things really are my favorite favorite.

Obviously when I saw this recipe on Pinterest the other day, I knew I had to try it soon.

I just so happened to have a big bowl full of lemons in my fridge (did you know how cheap it is to get a  big bag of them at Costco?!) and needed something to photograph with my new camera...

So here you go!

(I absolutely adore these bars.  I will be making them often.  More than often.  My family and friends will most likely get sick of them long before I do.  I never get tired of lemons!)

Chewy Lemon Bars Recipe
adapted from Rita's Recipes

Ingredients:
for the bars:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted & slightly cooled
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon packed lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
for the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon packed lemon zest (from 1 lemon)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Butter a 9x13" glass baking dish.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar & salt.  Mix in the melted butter until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice & zest until combined.  Mix this into the flour mixture combined and smooth.

Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until just set, golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the bars cool completely in the pan before glazing.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest and powdered sugar for the glaze until smooth.  Pour over the cooled lemon bars and refrigerate until nice and firm before serving!


Isn't this little guy adorable?  He was sick with a fever yesterday and he didn't eat any lemon bars, but he was just so excited that I was even making "hownies" that I don't think he cared!



Related Posts with Thumbnails