12.29.2009

a classic... tuna noodle casserole

I love Tuna Casserole.  I do.  I love it.  And when I crave comfort food, this is one of the first things that come to mind!

The last time I lived in the Frozen Tundra, I would make myself a big pan of this and freeze it in individual portions, for my lunch...  everyday.  Yep, I ate it almost everyday!  Because I love it that much, and because I needed that much comforting!  (There's a reason I don't live in the Frozen Tundra anymore!!)



My Classic Tuna Casserole Recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb penne pasta, cooked until very al dente
1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, optional
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 cans albacore tuna, drained
2 (10.75oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
salt & pepper, to taste
2 cups frozen peas

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.  Butter a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.

In a small saucepan, saute the onion and mushrooms (if using) in butter until softened.  In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except for 1 cup of the shredded cheese.

Pour into your prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.  Bake for 20-30 minutes until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly!

This makes GREAT leftovers, and also freezes wonderfully, baked or unbaked!
Related Posts with Thumbnails