3.28.2011

chocolate covered frozen kiwi pops


I saw this idea a few weeks ago on Pinterest and was so excited to try it when my cousin left a few kiwis at our house last week!

They are so refreshing, cute and fun...  and I feel a lot better about serving this to my toddler than an ice cream bar!

Once again, I did not temper my chocolate... for 2 reasons.  1st, I don't know how.  2nd, I am all about simplicity, and really...  I don't care if my frozen chocolate-dipped goodies 'bloom' a bit (that's what you call it when they get that white-ish look to them!) because they taste exactly the same!  :o)


Chocolate Covered Frozen Kiwi Pops Recipe
adapted from ShowFood Chef via Pinterest

Ingredients:
3-4 kiwis
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
Slice off the ends of the kiwis and peel them carefully with a knife.  Slice each kiwi into 1/2 inch or so slices.

Stick a lollipop stick into each slice, lay the slices on a parchment-lined tray and freeze for an hour or two until very firm.

In a medium glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water (but not letting the water touch the bottom of the bowl), melt the chocolate and oil together until smooth.

Working quickly, take the kiwi-pops out of the freezer and dip each one into the melted chocolate, tapping gently to let the excess chocolate drip off.  Place them back on the parchment tray and again into the freezer for an hour or two to set.

If you want to decorate them (like I did with the hearts!) scrape the extra melted chocolate into a ziploc bag, cut off a tiny tip and drizzle designs on the cooled chocolate-covered pops.


(Did I mention my almost-two-year-old loves them?)  :o)



Related Posts with Thumbnails