3.08.2011

lemon chiffon truffles

Ok, ok...  I know this combination may sound a little different to you...  a creamy lemon-infused white chocolate filling, covered in rich, smooth dark chocolate...  but trust me on this one - It's so good!

I just love fruit & chocolate combinations!


I actually didn't know that fact until recently, when I was at my Grandma's house and my cousin and I discovered a box of See's truffles she had been given.

They were all fruit flavors... like dark chocolate & raspberry, white chocolate & pineapple, and white chocolate & lemon!  We could not stop eating them...

Actually, I'm pretty sure we finished off the whole box.  I'm not sure my Grandma even got any!  (I'll have to make her some of these to make up for it!)

So, when I saw this recipe on Annie's Eats I knew immediately that I had to try them... and I'm so glad I did!

I doubled and altered the recipe a bit (are you shocked?)... but you can click here to see the original recipe if you'd like!  :o)

Note:  you could absolutely make these truffles 'prettier' by tempering the chocolate before dipping, but I wanted to keep these simple...  and besides, will they really taste any better if their coating is perfect??

Lemon Chiffon Truffles Recipe

Ingredients:
9oz (about 1 1/2 cups) chopped good-quality white chocolate
6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
zest from 2 large lemons, divided
2 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
4 teaspoons vegetable oil

Directions:
Place the chopped white chocolate and about 3/4 of the lemon zest in a small heatproof-bowl.  In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the cream to simmering.

Pour the hot cream over the chopped white chocolate and let sit for 2-3 minutes.  Stir well.  If necessary, microwave for 10 seconds and stir well again, repeating until the mixture is just smooth.

Cover and place in the fridge to chill at least 3-4 hours or overnight, until firm enough to roll into balls.

Scoop out about tablespoon-sized amounts of the filling and roll into smooth balls with your hands.  Place the balls onto a wax or parchment-lined tray and place in the fridge to chill another hour or so, until firm and cold again.

In a heatproof-bowl set over a pot of simmering water (about 1-2 inches deep...  make sure the water doesn't tough the bottom of the bowl!) stir together the chocolate chips and oil with a rubber spatula, continuing to stir and scrape the bowl until the chocolate is just melted and smooth.

Remove the bowl from the pot, wipe the bottom dry, and set on a towel at your workstation.  Take the tray of truffles out of the fridge and quickly dip each one into the melted chocolate.  Set them back onto the parchment-lined tray, and sprinkle with a pinch of the remaining lemon zest while the chocolate is still wet.

Place the tray back in to the fridge to set and chill for at least an hour, and then transfer to a tupperware container to store!


Related Posts with Thumbnails