7.06.2010

mexican spiced chocolate pudding

I know it's been a while since I last blogged.  And for those who care, I'm sorry!  The busiest part of summer is over, and my pregnancy is almost to the halfway point (on Friday!)...  I'm settling into our routine, and am hoping that cooking, baking and blogging find their way back into our new normal!

I woke up this morning thinking about pudding.  I never thought I liked pudding, until my husband asked for it one day and I decided to make it from scratch.  Of course I had to change things up, because I never can seem to leave a recipe alone!  :o)

This version is what I came up with, and it is a simple, creamy, not-too-rich pudding with just a slight kick and a hint of mexican flavors.  So yummy!


Mexican Spiced Chocolate Pudding Recipe

Ingredients:
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups whole milk
1 cup chocolate chips
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (or strong coffee)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar.  In a medium saucepan, stir together the milk, chocolate chips and salt, cooking over medium heat until the chocolate is just melted.

Ladle two scoops of the chocolate milk mixture into the eggs slowly, whisking constantly.  Slowly whisk the now-tempered egg mixture back into the rest of the chocolate in the pot.  Stir in the coffee liqueur.  Cook, stirring until the pudding is thick, around 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and cayenne and then pour into individual dessert cups.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight!


Related Posts with Thumbnails