9.04.2010

easy overnight caramel pecan rolls

My friend Amy gave me this recipe for easy homemade caramel rolls (one of my favorite guilty-pleasures!) and I am so in love with it!

This is one treat I can never pass up at a bakery, and I am so excited that I can make them at home now so easily!


I made them last night to put in the oven this morning and I am having a really hard time not eating the whole gooey-caramel-y pan in one sitting.

(Really, there's half a pan left on my counter and I can hear it calling my name!  I'm considering ear-plugs...  but I don't think my 1 year old would appreciate that!)


The main change I made (but it was her suggestion, so it doesn't really count as a change!) was to add 2 cups of chopped pecans...  because I love pecans!

I really can't imagine making this without the pecans, and have no desire to ever try it without, but by all means if you can't stand nuts, make this however you want!

Oh, and this is a semi-make ahead recipe and makes enough for a crowd!  You prep it all the night before so all you have to do in the morning is stick them in the oven.  Perfect for a lazy saturday morning!

Amy's Easy Overnight Caramel Pecan Rolls Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped pecans
2 loaves frozen bread dough (rhodes brand works well), thawed
1 1/4 cups butter
1 large package vanilla pudding mix (cook, not instant!)
1 regular package butterscotch pudding mix (cook, not instant!)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk or cream

Directions:
Grease a 9x13" or larger baking dish with lots of butter.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans into the bottom of the dish.  Cut the thawed bread dough into chunks (scissors work really well for this!) and spread out on top of the pecans, filling the pan evenly.

In a medium saucepan, melt together the butter and the pudding mixes.  Stir until smooth.  Turn off the heat and stir in the cinnamon, brown sugar and milk until smooth.  Pour the caramel mixture over the bread dough in the baking dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, remove the pan from the fridge to warm up to room temperature and raise a bit more while you preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Place the rolls into the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a piece taken out of the center (or just a peek if you don't want to mess with the prettiness!) is cooked through and no longer doughy.

Place a large platter over the top of the baking dish and gently flip the caramel rolls out onto the platter so the caramel sauce and pecans can pour all over the buns.

Serve warm with lots of fresh hot coffee, and you are sure to make all your family happy!

(I took new pictures of this recently, 
but since this old one has been pinned,
I decided not to delete it!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails