5.13.2011

cinnamon rolls for a crowd (or to feed your freezer!) with a yummy cream cheese glaze


I have been searching for a great cinnamon roll recipe for a long time...  Not only a great cinnamon roll, but an easy recipe and something worth my while. 

After hearing about The Pioneer Woman's famous cinnamon rolls over and over again, I decided to give them a try...  and boy was I disappointed!  I hate to even say that, because I have never felt that way about one of her recipes, but it is what it is.  The rolls were insanely sweet and way too messy to make!

What I did get out of that frustrating experience was a great starting point for an amazing recipe.

I ventured pretty far off of PW's path, but since the path did begin with her, I will give her credit for these.  If you would like to try her recipe or see her step by step action shots (her process is pretty much the same as mine!) click here to check out her page!

I do want to reiterate that I pretty much adore Ree and all of her recipes.  This one was just not for me!

What did I change?  Well, first of all I substituted butter for her oil (because I just don't see the point of oil!).  I cut down on the sugar in the dough (it was way too sweet!) and cleaned up (literally!) the filling (her melted butter method is messy enough to make you want to scream.  In fact I'm pretty sure I did...  several times!) and used half brown sugar and half white for a little more flavor.  I also replaced her way-too-sweet maple coffee icing with a more satisfying-to-me cream cheese glaze.  Yummm...

The results?  Amazing...  if I do say so myself!  ;o)


As for the amount of rolls this recipe produces...  yeah I could have cut that down to size a bit...  but why?  If I'm going to go to all this work, why not make a whole bunch and freeze some or give some away?!

I froze two pans of rolls unbaked (and un-risen... cover the pans with plastic wrap and foil and freeze immediately after rolling and placing in the pans).  These I will take out of the freezer the night before, let thaw in the fridge and then rise a bit on the counter in the morning and bake them as usual.

I also froze two pans baked, but unfrosted.  These I am planning on thawing when needed, and possibly warming up a tad in the oven before frosting and serving.

The last 3 pans...  I ate.

Ok, I had help...  but they are gone.  And they were good.  :o)

Cinnamon Rolls for a Crowd Recipe - with a cream cheese glaze

This cinnamon roll recipe make 7 square baking dishes of rolls...  about 63!
(The frosting recipe is only enough to frost 2 of the dishes generously or 3 lightly.)

Ingredients:
for the rolls:
3 1/2 cups lowfat milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 2 packets)
9 cups flour, divided (8 cups + 1 cup)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons cinnamon
for the frosting:
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

Directions:
In a large stockpot over medium high heat, stir together the milk, cream, butter & sugar, scald it and then turn off the heat (to scald is to heat just until little bubbles start to form around the edges of the liquid).  Leave it alone for 45 minutes to an hour, until it is lukewarm (about 100º-110ºF).

Sprinkle the yeast on top of the now-lukewarm mixture and let sit for a few minutes to soften.  Stir in the 8 cups flour until combined, cover the pot and let raise for an hour or so (until the dough has doubled in size!).

While the dough is rising, beat together the butter and sugars in your mixer until smooth;  set aside.

Once the dough has doubled, stir the remaining 1 cup flour & the baking powder, baking soda and salt into the pot until well combined and the dough has come together.

Preheat the oven to 375ºF and butter 7 square foil baking dishes (or three 9x13" dishes and one square).

Take about 1/3 of the dough out onto a floured countertop.    Roll it out into a large, thin rectangle.  Spread about 1/3 of the butter/sugar mixture all over the top of the dough and then sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.

Roll the dough up into a long, fairly tight roll.  Cut the roll into about 2" pieces and set the pieces into the buttered pans (9 to a pan in the square pans!).  Let the first batch of rolls rise for about 20-30 minutes while you prep the rest of the rolls.

Repeat the rolling out/filling/cutting process with the remaining two-thirds of the dough, in two batches.  Once all your pans are full, place the first pans into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown on the tops.

With your mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla or almond extract until creamy and smooth.  Spread over the warm cinnamon rolls and serve!


Related Posts with Thumbnails