6.13.2011

homemade peanut butter cups & The Secret Recipe Club

I have a secret addiction to peanut butter cups.  I love them.  And I rarely buy them because I have no self-control when they are around.  


Unfortunately now I have a super quick, easy way to make them at home, and that is probably not a good thing.  (Unless you are planning on coming over to help me eat them all, of course!)

I found this recipe for homemade peanut butter cups over on Hoosier Homemade, and I just knew I had to try it out.  It looked simple, and I even had all the ingredients on hand!

(The original recipe is here, if you'd like to go check it out!)

I joined The Secret Recipe Club recently, and that is how I found Liz over at Hoosier Homemade.  The Secret Recipe Club is a fun little group of food bloggers who are each month assigned another food blog to try a recipe from and blog about it.

I love finding new inspiration and meeting new people, so I was excited to try this out... and I wasn't disappointed!  It was fun to be assigned a blog that I might have never found on my own and get to search for a fun recipe to try out for myself.


Homemade Peanut Butter Cups Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided (1/2 cup + 1/2 cup)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 regular-sized Hershey's bars, chopped (about 6.2 ounces)

Directions:
Stir together the butter, sugar, salt & 1/2 cup of the peanut butter until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt together the remaining 1/2 cup peanut butter with the chocolate chips and Hershey's bars.  (Microwave on High for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well each time, until smooth).

Line a 24-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners.  Drop about 1/2 teaspoon or so of chocolate on the bottom of each paper.  Tap the pan firmly on the counter to spread and settle the chocolate.

Spoon about a teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture into the center of each liner.  

Spoon another teaspoon or so of the chocolate mixture on top of the peanut butter, just enough to cover.  Tap the pan firmly again on the counter to settle the chocolate.

Place in the fridge to set for at least a few hours or up to a week before serving!

(Optional:  Spoon the remaining chocolate mixture into a small ziploc bag, cut off one of the tips and drizzle some designs on your chocolates, if you'd like!  Wait about 10 minutes before doing this, and microwave the chocolate a few more seconds if needed before drizzling.)

Notes:
I really enjoyed this recipe and will definitely be making these again!!  I tried really hard to stick with the original recipe this time, and I think I did a pretty good job.  :o)  

The only changes I would make next time would be to double the recipe and try to balance out the chocolate/peanut butter ratio a bit more to my preference!  (More chocolate, less peanut butter!).  Thanks for a great recipe, Liz!  This was fun!!




Related Posts with Thumbnails