7.16.2011

french silk Samoas® pie

Some days you just need to bake a pie, you know?

Or is that just me??

Well, either way...  this was one of those days.  I needed to bake a pie.  A beautiful, creamy, satisfying, preferably chocolate, pie.


It's not that it was a particularly miserable day that needed cheering up...  in fact, quite the opposite!  It was a lovely day of family, sunshine and laziness.

But...  these darn new allergies have me pretty twisted up and miserable inside!  I can't see straight, I can't breathe well, I can't think clearly...

In fact, I have spent countless hours these past few weeks dreaming of ways to rip off my face so that I can get to the insane itching underneath!!

Enough about me though...  let's get back to the pie!


Who doesn't love french silk pie?  (Unless of course, you don't like chocolate...  in which case I can't really help you!)

And I took it a few steps further with a toasted coconut crust and a caramel drizzle that make it taste just like a Samoas® Girl Scout cookie!  Yummm...

Now, please don't be scared of the raw eggs in this pie!  Eggs have come a long way in the past several years and the dangers just aren't as high as they used to be.

Granted, I only use organic eggs which makes me more comfortable with eating them raw...  and I am not pregnant, nor do I plan on serving large quantities of this pie to my toddler or baby!


By the way... the husband decided this pie should be called "I Want Samoa Pie".  I guess that means he liked it!  :o)

French Silk Samoas® Pie Recipe
adapted from the naptime chef

Ingredients:
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 oz (3 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
store-bought dulce de leche or caramel sauce

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300ºF.  In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut and butter.  Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie plate.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla until combined.

Add in 2 of the eggs and beat on HIGH speed for exactly 5 minutes.  Add in the other 2 eggs and beat for an additional 5 minutes exactly.

Spoon this mixture into the cooled crust and place in the fridge to chill and set for at least 4 hours, or cover with wrap and set for up to 2 days.

Combine the heavy cream and powdered sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy.  Pile the whipped cream onto the chilled pie, cut, and serve topped with caramel sauce!


Related Posts with Thumbnails