7.27.2011

raspberry rhubarb crumble

I think we've reached the end of rhubarb season around here...  and that makes me incredibly sad.


My rhubarb plants got choked out by weeds this year (I know, I know...) and I never got around to buying our local grocery's 15lb bag to stock my freezer...  so I am now out of luck until next year.

I must say, though...  this crisp was the perfect way to send the season out with a bang!

Rhubarb perfectly balanced with raspberries (fresh or frozen work fine here!) and a sweet buttery crumble topping.


I keep my crumbles pretty tart, because I like to serve them warm with ice cream.  If you don't want to serve yours with ice cream, feel free to up the sugar a bit in the fruit mixture!

Raspberry Rhubarb Crumble Recipe

Ingredients:
4 cups raspberries (about 1 1/2 pints)
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

In a large bowl, gently toss together the raspberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch & lemon juice.  Dump into a 9x13" baking dish.

In another large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, oats, spices & salt.  Mix in the butter with a fork, or your hands, until everything is moistened.

Sprinkle the topping mixture in clumps evenly over the fruit in the baking dish.  Bake for 1 hour, or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden brown.

Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream!


Related Posts with Thumbnails