11.18.2011

my favorite red wine risotto... baked!

I have been making this Red Wine Risotto with Peas for years...  using the classic, stirring constantly, for-what-seems-like-hours-and-isn't-even-possible-with-needy-little-kiddos-around at the stove method.

I knew there had to be an easier way, and after months of figuring, I've finally put the pieces together the way I want them!


I will still do this the old-fashioned way every once in a while, I'm sure...  because sometimes I make risotto just because I want to stand at the stove and stir something!  And because this baked version is not quite as creamy as traditional stovetop risotto.  But it sure is close and it sure is good!

When I'm really just craving the comfort, without so much tedious work, I will definitely be making my risotto this way from now on!!

Baked Red Wine Risotto with Peas & Parmesan Recipe

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup red wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.  Set aside the 1 cup frozen peas aside on the counter top to defrost.

Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium dutch-oven on the stovetop over medium heat.  Sauté the onions in the butter/oil for 5-10 minutes, until soft and translucent.  Stir in the garlic for a few seconds.

Dump in the uncooked rice and stir, toasting for a few minutes until just starting to get lightly golden brown on the edges.  Stir in the wine and cook until all the liquid is gone.

Pour in the chicken stock, cover tightly, and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is just absorbed and the rice is tender.

Stir in the peas and most of the parmesan until just melted.  Serve with fresh chopped parsley and a bit more parmesan on the top!

(And in case you're wondering...  risotto heats up wonderfully for leftovers!  Just package into small containers and microwave or heat gently on the stovetop, adding a tiny bit more broth if it gets too thick!)



Related Posts with Thumbnails