3.05.2012

berry peach crisp

We all know I love a good crisp (or crumble, or crunch... whatever you want to call it!).

[By the way, I've given up on calling it a crumble.  I like the way that sounds much better than a 'crisp', but years of programming are hard to break...  so 'crisp' it is!]

Anyways, a fruit crisp is one of my favorite go-to desserts, all year long.  I use fresh berries in the summer and stock up my freezer with frozen berries for the winter.


There is never a time not to have a hot crisp fresh out of the oven, and I must say...  my family is never disappointed when they see (or smell!) one!

(Fruit crisps also makes a great breakfast the next day...  just sayin'!)

You can easily throw together a crisp into the oven in a few minutes, so try this next time you have some unexpected company or some unexpected cravings!

(Random thought of the day:  Am I the only one who thinks of Strawberry Shortcake when I say "Berry Peach Crisp"??  Maybe because it's my boys' favorite show right now, but I just can't help but hear her voice in my head when I say it!)

Also, my husband reminded me that I should warn you:  I tend to make my fruit crisps/crumbles more on the tart side because I like to balance out the sweet ice cream or whipped cream that always goes with it.  Please feel free to up the sugar in the filling, if you like a sweeter crisp to begin with!

Berry Peach Crisp Recipe

Ingredients:
for the filling:
6 cups frozen berries (I like raspberries & blackberries mixed!)
2 cups diced frozen peaches
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
fresh-squeezed juice from 1/2 of a large orange
for the topping:
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of ginger
1/2 cup cold butter, diced

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Lightly grease a 9x9" square baking dish.

Place all the filling ingredients into a large bowl and toss well to coat evenly;  Set aside.

In another large bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients, except for the butter.  Stir together with a fork until well combined.

Toss in the diced butter and then cut in with a pastry blender, two forks or your fingers until the mixture is all moistened and resembles coarse crumbs.

Give the filling a good stir and dump it into your prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle the topping mixture all over the top.

Place the baking dish on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any accidental spills, and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour or so, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown.

Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream!



Related Posts with Thumbnails