3.14.2012

cinnamon roll frosting & preggo ramblings at their finest...


My brain is officially Out of Order.  I can't seem to do anything right these days and I can hardly remember the beginning of my thought once I get to the end.

It's a miracle that I can even get dressed these days...  really, it is!

Pregnancy gives me this great and at the same time frustrating burst of creative energy in the kitchen.

Great because for some reason most of my fears and worries disappear and I try things I would normally shy away from for fear of failure.

Frustrating because I can hardly remember my own name these days, let alone whether I just put sugar in a recipe, or was that salt?  And did I just count out 2 cups?  Or was that 3?!

Case in point...  I wanted to make some homemade cinnamon rolls yesterday.  I had a craving, and we all know preggo cravings cannot go ignored for long.

I found a recipe that looked good, copied it down on a piece of scrap paper and got to work.  But when I started kneading the dough, something just wasn't right.  It was way too dry and I knew I had put the right amount of flour in.

So, I remedied the best I could, kneading water into the dough bit by bit (fun fact: kneading water into a too-dry dough is much harder than kneading flour into a too-wet dough!).  I finally got the dough to a point where I knew it would at least be edible, so I proceeded with the recipe.

And then all of a sudden it hit me.  I knew what I had done wrong!

I completely forgot to put the butter into the dough.  Basically, I just made fat-free cinnamon roll dough.  (Yuck.)

I was so annoyed at myself and almost threw away the dough, but I decided to go ahead anyways.  At least I would be able to enjoy licking the frosting off if the cinnamon rolls were as bad as I imagined!

But you know what??  They weren't bad at all!!

Now, I'm not saying I would ever intentionally leave the butter out of the dough next time I make this recipe, and these were definitely not fat-free cinnamon rolls, but they were more than edible...  they were delicious!

You know what else?  I think that's the sign of a pretty-darn-good recipe if I can screw it up that bad and still end up with good results!  :o)

I will definitely be making these again (the right way hopefully!) and I wholeheartedly recommend them to you!


The frosting alone is amazing.  Exactly what I was looking for and will probably be my go-to cinnamon roll frosting from now on!

Enjoy!

Perfect Cinnamon Roll Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
frosts 12 or more large cinnamon rolls

Ingredients:
6 oz cream cheese*
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
*You can eyeball this...  just use about 3/4 of a regular 8oz brick of cream cheese!

In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Beat in the extract and salt, and then the powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy.

Spread over your favorite warm cinnamon rolls!



Related Posts with Thumbnails