11.17.2010

groaning cake

Ok, I know that's a weird name for a cake, but to be fair - I didn't make it up!  I heard about this treat in my online wanderings, and just had to try it out for myself.  (It's an old English tradition to bake a cake like this for a laboring woman...  I couldn't find much detail when I googled it, but feel free to look it up and let me know what you learn!) 

It's actually more of a quick bread than a cake, and it's chock-full of healthy stuff...  blackstrap molasses, olive oil, apples...  all good things meant to give the new mama a 'boost'.

This is my version, and I think it's pretty good...  Of course I did spread a little butter on my slices, but since the 'insides' of this cake are so healthy, I figured it would be ok!  :o)

I just enjoyed a few slices and now I've got the rest stored in my freezer to take out when this baby comes!

Groaning Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 cups (about 2 large apples) peeled, grated apple
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Grease two 9x5" loaf pans.

In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.  Stir in the grated apple.

In another bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.  Mix the wet ingredients into the flour/apple mixture until well blended.

Pour the batter into the two loaf pans and place into the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



Related Posts with Thumbnails