2.07.2011

mushroom & garlic quinoa

I bought a big bag of organic quinoa at Costco a while ago, just because I kept hearing about how good it is for you.   When I got home I threw together a dish... and it was a big flop.  And I mean throw-it-in-the-trash big!  Not the quinoa's fault, but needless to say - the bag moved to the back of my cupboard and was quickly forgotten.

If you're not familiar with quinoa, like I wasn't... here's the scoop.  Quinoa is a grain, that is prepared and used much like rice, but is much healthier.  Full of protein and essential amino acids, it is a great pantry item to keep on hand for quick, healthy meals!

I found the bag today and decide to try again.  Keeping things simple this time (which I'm sure was my problem with my first try!) I decided to let the grain shine without too much competition.  I had some mushrooms calling my name in the fridge, and the combination ended up being a winner!

The best part about this dish, besides how easy and good for you it is?  Even my super-picky-almost-two-year-old toddler loved it!  It doesn't get much better than that!  :o)


Mushroom & Garlic Quinoa Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
Rinse the uncooked quinoa really well.  Dump it into a medium pot, pour in the stock and salt & pepper and bring to a boil for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.  Remove from the heat, cover and for about 5 minutes.

While the quinoa is cooking,  heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Put the olive oil and butter in the skillet, heat them until the butter is melted and then toss in the sliced mushrooms.  Let the mushrooms cook, stirring once or twice, until tender and golden.  Stir in the garlic and let it cook for a few seconds until soft.

Toss the mushroom & garlic mixture into the cooked quinoa and serve!


Related Posts with Thumbnails