10.21.2011

salted butter caramel sauce

oh. my. yum.  Really...  is there anything more I need to say than that?


I can't get enough of this caramel.  I dipped apple slices in it...  I dipped a spoon in it...  I dipped my fingers in it...  And it was good!


I really didn't alter this recipe except for a tiny pinch more salt...  Deb really hit the nail on the head with this one and I am so glad she did!


I made a few jars to go in some auction baskets I am donating, and will most likely make some more for Christmas gifts...  Yum!

Salted Butter Caramel Sauce Recipe
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, diced
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
pinch of salt

Directions:
Melt the sugar over medium to moderately high heat in at least a two or three quart sized pot or larger, gently whisking or stirring the sugar as it melts to ensure it heats evenly.

Cook the liquefied sugar to a nice, dark copper color. 

Add the butter all at once and stir it in, before turning off the stove and pouring in the heavy cream, whisking it until you get a smooth sauce.

Use it right away or pour it into a jar and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. 

When you take it out, it will likely have thickened a bit but 60 seconds in the microwave brings it right back to pouring consistency.

Related Posts with Thumbnails