4.14.2011

chicken tamale casserole

This casserole is quick, comforting and full of flavor!  Feel free to adjust the spices to make it more or less spicy...  however your family likes it!


I love making quick, simple, one-dish meals for my family.  Especially ones that use easy shortcuts like precooked chicken.

(Does anyone else regularly get sucked in by the amazing smell of store-bought rotisserie chickens like I do??)  :o)

Speaking of chicken...  (actually this has nothing to do with chicken, but I'm home alone for the week and have no one else to talk to... and hey, this is my blog!)  ;o) ...

Since Andrew just left today on a missions trips to Mexico, I'm trying to focus on the good things about being home alone for the week...  like getting to make whatever I want for dinner.  (Bjørn doesn't get a vote yet, and Haakon doesn't eat, so I get full say!)  :o)

Anyways, I foresee a lot of pasta and garlic bread in my immediate future!!

(ok, maybe I'm reaching a little with the forced positivity, but I really am excited about the garlic bread!)

Chicken Tamale Casserole Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided (1/4 cup + 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1 can (14.75oz) creamed corn
1 box (8.5oz) corn muffin mix
1 can (8oz) diced green chiles
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce (red or green...  whichever you like!)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.  Grease a 9x13" baking dish.

Stir together 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese and the rest of the ingredients except enchilada sauce, remaining cheese and the chicken...  mixing until just blended.

Pour into the greased pan and bake for 15 minutes, until set.  Take about 1/4 cup of the sauce and toss it with the chicken.

Remove from the oven, poke holes all over the top with a fork, and pour the remaining sauce all over to soak in.  Spread the chicken all over the top, and then sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese.

Bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.

Serve with salsa, sour cream & lots of fresh cilantro if you have it!


Related Posts with Thumbnails