4.18.2011

dark chocolate coconut no bake cookies... cute little bird's nests for easter!

I have been craving No Bakes lately like you would not believe!  Not my usual 'different' gooey marshmallow no bakes - which you can check out the recipe for here - but the classics.

Of course, I just can't leave well enough alone...  even with the classics.  Now, I don't have anything against the original version of these (I'm sure you all have a recipe for them in your church cookbooks or copied down from your grandma!) but I like my version better.  :o)


First of all, I cut down the sugar...  because they are a little too sweet for my liking, and because I was planning on adding a few other 'sweet treats' to them.  Then I made sure to use Dutch Processed cocoa, because I love the darker color and flavor.

I also added sweetened flaked coconut...  and just for a fun easter touch, I pressed a few egg-shaped peanut butter m&m's into each one for decoration.

Obviously these would be great with no eggs on top all year-round!  I just thought they would be so cute this way for easter.  :o)


I like how these turned out!  And my 2 year old was very impressed.  :o)

(I also linked this recipe up to the Sweets for Saturday party over at Sweet as Sugar Cookies!  Check it out for lots of yummy looking recipes!)

Dark Chocolate Coconut No Bake Cookies Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 bag egg-shaped peanut butter m&ms*

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt together the butter, cocoa, sugar, salt and milk.  Stir and cook until the mixture comes to a boil and then let boil for 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth, and then stir in the oats and coconut.

Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets and press 3 peanut butter m&m eggs (*or any other small egg-shaped candy coated easter candy!) into the top to make it look like a little nest!

Place in the fridge to set for a few hours and then transfer to a tupperware container if you are not going to serve them right away.  Store in the fridge!


Related Posts with Thumbnails