7.17.2012

fresh peach raspberry cobbler

Fresh, juicy peaches...  sweet, bursting berries...  summer really is here isn't it?!

I know some of you have been having summer for quite a while now, but here in the dreary NW, our sure-to-be-short summer has just begun.

The berries are ripe and ready for picking, the peaches are showing up at the markets, and corn on the cob is calling to us everywhere we turn!


I got some beautiful peaches last week but for some reason I kept forgetting to eat them.

(Ok, maybe I was just a teeny-bit distracted by the 20 pounds of sweet cherries I got at the same time!)

Well, the ignored peaches all ripened at exactly the same time on my counter and needed to be used and fast!

My first thought, of course, was a peach crisp, crumble or pie...  like I always do.

Then, I thought about it a bit more and decided to step out of my comfort-zone and try making a peach cobbler with them!

I know that's not all that far away from my comfort zone, but considering the fact that I have never actually even eaten a cobbler, let alone made one, this was an adventure for me.

And it was a fun one!


Although this didn't quite surpass my love of a brown sugary, oats & butter-topped fruit crisp, it was delicious and I'm sure I'll be venturing into the world of cobblers again!

Fresh Peach Raspberry Cobbler Recipe
adapted from Three Many Cooks

Ingredients:
for the batter:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
for the fruit:
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
2 cups raspberries, frozen for prettiest results
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Place the stick of butter into a 9x13" baking dish and place the dish into the oven until the butter is melted.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently toss together the peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract.  Gently fold in the raspberries and set aside.

In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar & powder.  Whisk in the milk and almond extract until smooth.

Once the butter has melted in the oven, remove the hot pan and set it on a rack.  Pour the batter into the hot butter-filled pan and then gently spoon the peaches and berries all over the top.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the batter is nice and golden brown all over.  Serve warm with lots of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!



Related Posts with Thumbnails