8.29.2012

doing things halfway... the right way!



I am usually an all-or-nothing kinda girl.  If I'm not going to be able to finish a project, I am not likely to start it in the first place.

Perfectionism, laziness, OCD...  whatever you want to call it, it's not exactly the best way to walk through life.  At least it hasn't been for me.  Unfortunately it's a hard attitude to change overnight.

One thing in my life seems to quickly change that all-or-nothingness for me, though:  having a newborn baby in the house.

If you've had babies, you know what I mean when I say that things just don't get done all at once, and if I kept my 'I'm-not-starting-it-if-I-can't-finish-it!" attitude, we would be dirty, starving, and living in filth.

So, I do what I can, when I can.  A little bit here and a little bit there.

A few dishes washed between feedings, and a few more washed later.  A load of laundry in the wash even if I know there is no possible way I will be able to fold them and we will have a wrinkly mess of clothes the next day...  at least we will all have clean clothes to wear!

And this part-way philosophy extends into our food-life as well.  I find myself leaning towards recipes that have breaks in them, or ones I can easily adjust into sporadic steps.

Like cookies, I can make the dough one morning...  scoop it and freeze it later that afternoon...


and stick in the oven whenever I want, for fresh, hot cookies in moments!


I don't normally live like that.  If I know I won't have time to finish baking off the whole batch of cookies, I usually won't start in the first place.  But new-baby-life me is a much different being.

And these are things I need to work on incorporating into my all-the-time life.  Because fresh, hot cookies are a good thing.

A very good thing.



Related Posts with Thumbnails