8.04.2009

pumpkin praline dessert

I first had this dessert at my aunt's house several years ago.  Being a pumpkin-lover, I was so impressed with this variation on the original holiday treat!

I had lost her recipe, but was finally able to recreate a delicious version!

Now, I know good and well that it is not the holidays.  It's August for goodness sakes!  But who ever made the rule that pumpkin pie should only be eaten in the fall?

I mean, really... most of us use pumpkin from a can (kudos to those of you who do the real thing... I just don't have that kind of patience!) and it is available year round.

Anyways, Navy and I were craving dessert last night and he suggested we make pumpkin pie, which immediately made me remember this recipe.  So simple, so delicious... it tastes great warm and even better cold the next day!


Pumpkin Praline Dessert Recipe

Ingredients:
for the filling:
1 (29oz) can pumpkin
1 (15oz) can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
for the topping:
1 box butter-recipe yellow cake mix
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted

Directions:
Stir together the first 5 ingredients until smooth. Pour into a greased 9x13" baking dish.

Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle evenly with the chopped nuts. Drizzle with the butter.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes, until the topping is light golden brown and the filling is set.

Store in the fridge. (This is a great make-ahead dessert!) Serve with lots of fresh whipped cream!

Related Posts with Thumbnails