7.31.2009

summery pasta salad

A few people have asked me about this 'amazing' pasta salad I have been talking about lately. Why have I been talking about it so much, and why have I not been sharing it with Andrew?

Well, because it's just too good, that's why! And I don't think his guy-ness will appreciate it as much as it deserves to be appreciated. And because I want it all to myself. It's just that good!

The only thing I would change when I make this again would be to add some fresh parsley or cilantro if I have it... I just love what fresh herbs do to my food!


Chicken Sausage Pasta Salad Recipe

Ingredients:

1lb orzo or other small pasta
4 flavored chicken sausages*, cubed
6-12 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
8oz mozzarella, diced
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes

*I used brat-style flavored chicken sausages from Costco. They come in lots of different flavors, but jalapeno/mango is one of our favorites!

Directions:

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and then pour it into a large bowl, and drizzle with olive oil to keep it from sticking. Set aside.

In a large skillet, sear the chicken sausages until they are browned and heated through. (Alternately, you can leave them whole, grill them, and then dice them up!) Place them in the fridge to chill while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Into the pasta bowl, mix in the sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella (I used string cheese, because that's what I had on hand!). While stirring, drizzle in the olive oil until everything is nicely coated, then squeeze fresh lemon juice, to taste, into the salad. Stir in the sausage and garlic powder, and season to taste with the peppers.

Garnish with fresh chopped flat leaf parsley or another fresh herb. (Cilantro would have been good in this because of the jalapeno/mango sausage!)

Store this salad in the fridge, and really... it only tastes better the longer it sits!


Related Posts with Thumbnails