7.31.2009

ice cream sundae bites

It has been hot here the last few days.  Really hot!  Like record-breaking hottest temperatures EVER hot!  Even the thought of food made me uncomfortable.  Until I saw this recipe.  I drooled.  But I couldn't do anything about it because it was just too hot to even try messing with ice cream!  Not that I didn't contemplate it, several times! 

So, when it cooled off (way off... like into the 80's.  Downright chilly!), I made these Ice Cream Sundae Bites.  Oh my goodness are they good!  Once again I am not sharing these (I have not been in a sharing mood lately, it seems!) which is only partly true, because Andrew wouldn't eat them anyways.  He doesn't like coffee ice cream.  

I made these with Starbucks Java Chip ice cream, because that's what I had.  Next time I think I will try Haagen Daaz Strawberry ice cream for more of a banana split flavor!  Yummm!  I don't think I will ever go back to eating plain-old boring ice cream out of the container again...

Unless of course I am just too lazy (or it is just too HOT) to make these.  I can't wait until the next time I have company over to make these for, because they are so fun and impressive!




Ice Cream Sundae Bites Recipe
adapted from this recipe by bakeaholic

Ingredients:

2 bananas
1 pint ice cream, any flavor
3 cups chocolate chips
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

Take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften slightly.

Place a baking sheet lined with waxed paper into the freezer to chill. Cut off the tapered ends of 2 bananas and then slice the bananas into approximately 1/4"-1/2" round slices.  Place the slices onto one half of the chilled baking sheet and place it back into the freezer for about 10 minutes.

With a small scoop dipped in hot water to making scooping easier, scoop the ice cream onto the other half of your chilled baking sheet (working quickly to keep it from melting all over!).  Place it back into the freezer for about 30 minutes, until the ice cream is firm.

Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips and vegetable oil into a small saucepan and melt on very low heat, stirring often, until just melted and smooth.  Be careful not to burn the chocolate!  Put the mixture aside to cool slightly, while you assemble the bites.

Place one ice cream ball onto each slice of banana and place a toothpick through the top to hold them in place.  Return the pan to the freezer for an additional 10 minutes.

Dip each bite into the chocolate, using a spoon to make sure it is all covered.  Tap off the excess chocolate and place back onto your baking sheet.  Repeat with the rest of the bites until they are all coated and place the baking sheet back into the freezer to set until you are ready to serve them!

Store in tupperware in the freezer, if there are any left that is...  :o)


Related Posts with Thumbnails