2.15.2012

shopping on a budget... and breaking dawn

We're trying a new thing around here.

Yes, we may be a little late jumping on the bandwagon, but life has necessitated this change.

I am now doing all of our grocery shopping on a budget.

A very strict, this is how much cash you have for the month and when you're out you're out, budget.

And I must say...  as much as I didn't love the idea at first, it has definitely made me a more responsible shopper.

Responsible grocery shopping is not my forté....  I like to splurge.

I like to buy what I feel like buying, not just what I need to buy.

But we all know that kind of mindset is dangerous.  Very dangerous.  (Unless you're name happens to by Ina Garten or Giada DeLaurentiis, of course!)

Today was a real test of my budget shopping.

I needed to do a big Costco-run, and I had a very tight window of cash in which to get everything on my carefully calculated list.

And then I walked in the door...  and saw the display of Breaking Dawn DVDs.


Uh-oh.

That was definitely not on my list.  My very tight, we have no extra money and this has to last us until the end of the month, list.

So, I did what any responsible mom would do....

I sacrificed the boys' goldfish crackers, and the family's bacon and lemons.

We can survive without those until next month, right?

A happy mom = a happy family, or something like that?!  :o)

Do you shop on a tight (cash) budget?  How or when do you splurge??



Related Posts with Thumbnails