4.13.2012

homemade Mounds candy bars

Mounds Bars and Almond Joys have always been some of my favorite candy bars.

I remember being a kid and standing in the candy aisle trying to decide which one I wanted and then I would eagerly enjoy my pick, all the while thinking maybe I should have gotten the other...


(Which reminds me...  WHY do they not make a pack with one piece Mounds and one piece Almond Joy for the indecisive among us like me?!)

Needless to say, I was so excited when I found this idea for homemade Mounds Bars and even more excited at how I could enjoy them without all the guilt!

This is a super easy, delicious little recipe...  and the result is quite a bit healthier than you might expect!


You could actually take these quite a bit further into the healthy-zone, but I am happy right smack dab here in the middle.  :o)

Homemade Healthier Mounds Bars Recipe
adapted from Tasty Yummies

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flaked or shredded coconut
1/2 cup melted virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup raw honey (melted if it will be too firm to stir!)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and salt until well mixed.

(The mixture may seem very greasy...  don't worry about it.  Everything will firm back up into a wonderful moist, chewy texture!)

Fill about 12-15 cups of a mini-muffin pan with the mixture, pressing down evenly and firmly.  Place in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.

Melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil.  Spoon the chocolate evenly over the coconut in each cup, spreading smoothly.  Place the pan back in to the freezer to set another 30 minutes.

Use a knife to gently pop each candy bar out of the pan and transfer to a freezer-safe Tupperware to store in the freezer or fridge.  Or serve immediately!

These will get soft at room temperature for too long, so keep them cold until you are ready to serve them!



Related Posts with Thumbnails