4.27.2012

peach raspberry crumble pie

If there was ever a day I needed some pie in my life, it was yesterday.


The boys and I all woke up on the wrong sides of our beds and were grumpy, whiny, tired messes.  Plus, we had back-to-back doctor's appointments right in the middle of naptime, which never makes for a good day!

All I could think about was how badly I needed a treat.  Pie specifically.  Then I happened to spy a lovely pre-made organic all-butter pie crust in the freezer at the grocery store and the effort-problem was solved!

As soon as we got home from the doctor's appointments, I started making my pie.  And in the time it took for the oven to preheat, it was in the oven baking away!

Now, I should tell you I made some healthy, hearty dinner to fill my family before dessert, but that's just not the case.  We had leftover chili.  And pie.  And some of us may have eaten our pie before dinner...  but I'll never tell who!  ;o)

You can use fresh peaches and raspberries in this recipe, of course, but I had some beauties in my freezer that I had been hoarding in my freezer since last summer for just such a day as this.

This was a perfect and delicious treat and it definitely made at least my day end on a much better note than it started!!

Yay for pie!!

Do you have any foods like that in your life?  That no matter what kind of a day you have had, they just seem to make everything better??


Peach Raspberry Crumble Pie Recipe

Ingredients:
1 single-crust for a 9" pie plate (homemade or store-bought)
for the filling:
4 cups peaches, peeled & diced (fresh or frozen)
1 cup frozen raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons butter
for the crumb topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons almond extract
3 tablespoons butter

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400ºF and put your pie crust into a pie plate and flute the edges if you haven't already done so (or if you're not using a frozen preformed pie crust like I did!).  Place in the freezer to set for a few minutes while you prep the filling and topping.

In a large bowl, very gently toss together the filling ingredients, except for the butter;  Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the topping ingredients, mixing together with a fork until they are moistened and crumbly;  Set aside.

Remove the pie crust from the freezer and gently dump the filling into the crust.  Dot the filling with butter and then top with the crumb topping.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the bottom crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling.  Let cool a bit before serving!




Related Posts with Thumbnails