5.02.2012

homemade Rice-A-Roni with chicken

Does anyone else love Rice-A-Roni as much as we do?

Whenever we buy a rotisserie chicken from the store to have for dinner one night, the next night's leftovers are almost always paired with Rice-A-Roni.


But as much as I love it, I absolutely hate all the unnecessary stuff in the boxed mixes.

I don't really know why it took me so long to decide to make my own from scratch...  It's such a simple, delicious meal, and you won't miss the boxed stuff at all!

-----

This will be my last recipe post for a week or so, while we are on our little roadtrip down to Mexico...  but I will hopefully get to post a bit while we're on the road!

Maybe I'll just show you all the In-N-Out we will end up eating on this trip?  ;o)

I'm sure I will be having complete kitchen withdrawals by the time we get home and will be anxious to get right back into the swing of things!!

Homemade Rice-A-Roni with Chicken Recipe
adapted from Simply Scratch
serves 4-6

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup long-grain rice
1 cup broken spaghetti noodles
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2-3 cups cooked chicken

Directions:
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Stir in the rice & noodles and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are golden and the butter is fragrant.

Stir in the chicken stock and spices and bring to a boil.  Stir in the chicken if it's cold, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.

Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for about 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork, taste for seasonings and serve!



Related Posts with Thumbnails