5.14.2012

rhubarb crumb pie with a hint of cardamom

I. Love. Rhubarb.

I really, really do.  I absolutely love and adore everything and anything having to do with rhubarb!


Rhubarb pie, rhubarb sauce, rhubarb yogurt...  rhubarb candles, rhubarb lipgloss...  I really can't even imagine something rhubarb that I wouldn't like.

Does anybody know if someone makes rhubarb perfume?  Because that would be amazing!

Growing up, we always had rhubarb plants to enjoy and the first sign of those bright red stalks made me smile every year.

I have a few plants in my yard now, but unfortunately only one has survived my horrible care-taking, which leaves me without a lot of stash to bake with.

I did happen to find some beautiful fresh rhubarb at the store the other day though, and splurged on several pounds to try and satisfy my cravings!


The first thing I decided to make was some rhubarb scones, but I was so disappointed when they didn't turn out like I had hoped.

I guess maybe one day I will learn not to try baking something new when I am so exhausted I can barely string two thoughts together!  :o)

I still had a bunch of rhubarb left to use and I didn't want to risk it going to waste on another screw-up, so I went for a classic treat...  Rhubarb pie.


This is a very simple, delicious rhubarb pie with just a hint of cardamom for a little fun and a buttery crumb topping.  Perfect for breakfast with a big cup of coffee!

Wait, doesn't everyone eat their pie for breakfast?!

Rhubarb Crumb Pie with Cardamom Recipe
adapted from AllRecipes
6 servings

Ingredients:
Single crust for an 8" or 9"pie
for the filling:
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 tablespoon butter
for the crumb topping:
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup cold butter, diced

Directions:
Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the bottom rack of your oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF with the pan inside.

Line a glass pie plate with a crust and flute the edges (or use a frozen-store bought pie crust for a super quick and easy treat!).

In a small bowl, whisk together the 1 1/3 cups sugar and 6 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom.  Sprinkle about 1/4 of this mixture evenly into the bottom of the crust.

Pile the chopped rhubarb on top of that and then sprinkle the rest of the sugar/flour mixture evenly over the fruit.  (Don't worry about tossing this...  it's not necessary at all!)

Cut up 1 tablespoon of butter into small bits and dot it over the filling in the pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the first 3 topping ingredients until combined.  Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle this evenly over the filling in the pie pan and press down gently to keep it from crumbling off all over your oven!

Place the pie into the oven, directly onto the hot baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes at 450ºF and then lower the heat to 350ºF and continue to cook for about 45 minutes, until the bottom crust is nice and golden (that's why I like glass pie plates...  so much easier to check for a done crust!).

Check the pie a few times through the baking and if it's getting too brown, place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely over the top.

Serve warm or cold with lots of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!

(Oh, and if you don't care for your rhubarb straight, you can use half rhubarb and half strawberries or raspberries instead!)  Enjoy!



Related Posts with Thumbnails