5.31.2012

almond berry crumble, gluten free

...with no special gf-flours and you absolutely do not need to be eating gluten-free to love this dessert!


I was craving a berry crisp the other day and of course I wanted to make something that Bjørn would be able to enjoy too, so I decided to play around and see what I could come up with!


I thought about using an all-purpose GF flour mix, but I decided to go with ground almonds because I just love the flavor and texture they give...  especially to such a simple dessert.


And it turns out I actually think this might be my new favorite crumble or crisp topping all together...  regardless of gluten-free intentions!

Gluten Free Almond Berry Crumble Recipe

Ingredients:
for the filling:
8 cups mixed berries (any)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
for the topping:
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds* (almond meal or almond flour)
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
2 cups GF old-fashioned rolled oats (can use regular if not serving this to gf-eaters!)
1 cup butter, softened

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Butter a 9x13" baking dish.

In a large bowl, toss together the berries (if frozen, don't thaw!), cornstarch and sugar.  Dump this mixture into the baking dish.

If you're worried about leaks/bubbling over at all, place the baking dish on a foil-lined baking dish before baking, just in case!

In another large bowl, stir together all the topping ingredients except the butter.  Dump in the butter and mix well until moistened and crumbly (Use your hands!  The best kitchen tools you have!).

Crumble this mixture all over the berries in the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until the topping is golden and filling is bubbling.

Let sit a few minutes before serving and then serve warm with ice cream (Breyer's Vanilla is Gluten Free!) or lots of fresh whipped cream!

*I buy my ground almonds (almond meal) at Trader Joe's but you can also just grind up some almonds in your food processor or blender until finely ground...  or substitute almond flour if that's what you have!



Related Posts with Thumbnails