5.24.2012

spicy pesto chicken with wilted fresh baby spinach

This meal was a delicious surprise born out of necessity.

I need to eat more greens and protein for this baby and I have been having a hard time doing that.  Nothing sounds or tastes good.

Until this, that is!


I made my homemade pesto sauce, but loaded it up with crushed red pepper flakes because I love a kick.

Then I warmed some of it up on the stove with some grilled chicken breast and tossed in a ton of fresh baby spinach until it was all coated and jut barely wilted with the warm pesto sauce.


I was so worried that all would be able to think about was the noodles that I was wishing were on my plate with this, but I didn't miss them at all!  In fact, I made it again the next day and ate it twice!!


Try this sometime if you need a good protein/greens meal and are getting tired of cold salads like I am!  :o)

Spicy Pesto Chicken with Wilted Fresh Baby Spinach Recipe
serves 2

Ingredients:
1/4 cup or so homemade spicy pesto sauce*
1 chicken breast, grilled or sautéed and sliced
3-4 large handfuls fresh baby spinach

Directions:
In a large pan over medium heat, warm the pesto sauce and chicken together.  Once they are both nice and warm, toss in the spinach, turning and stirring often until coated with the pesto sauce and just as wilted as you like (I prefer mine barely warmed, and not too soft!)

-----

*Spicy Pesto Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
1/2 cup (or so) extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
In your food processor, place the basil, toasted pine nuts, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pulse until everything is finely chopped.

Turn the food processor on and slowly stream in the olive oil until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.
Store any leftover in a small jar in the fridge with a thin layer of olive oil poured on top.

Or you can freeze leftover pesto to use later!



Related Posts with Thumbnails