12.06.2011

a dark chocolate m&m birthday cake!

I cannot believe my little baby is 1 already!

We had a small, cozy birthday celebration for him with my family.  It was nice to enjoy a quiet day celebrating him...  and of course, eating cake!


I put my brother in charge of decorating the cake.  His only rule?  "Cover the whole thing with m&ms!"

I think he did a great job!!


Did you notice the google color-scheme?  :o)  Yeah.  


This was a great, rich, very moist chocolate cake!  (I am not 100% satisfied with the frosting recipe yet, so I'm just sharing the recipe for the cake.)  

If you need a good, classic dark chocolate cake...  try this out!

Extra-Moist Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot, strong brewed coffee

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Butter and flour (or use a baking spray with flour in it, like I prefer!) two 9-inch round baking pans.

In a large mixer bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Add the eggs, milk, butter, & vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Stir in the coffee by hand (the batter will be thin).  Pour evenly into the prepared pans.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes in the pans and then remove from the pans to a wire rack. 

Frost as desired!  (I used a vanilla-malt buttercream frosting for this cake, but need to work on the recipe before I can share it.)

Happy birthday little man!  We love you!

Glad you liked your very first cake!



In case you're wondering what I did for Bjørn's 1st birthday cake...  click here!




Related Posts with Thumbnails