12.09.2011

Why do you care how many kids I have?

Why do we care so much how many kids other people have?

Why do we feel like we have the right to judge their family size, too big... or too small?

What does it really have to do with us anyways?

I am so saddened by the comments and attacks against the Duggar family after people found out about Michelle's 2nd trimester miscarriage yesterday.

Hurtful, hateful words.  For what reason?

How does it really affect you and me how many kids the Duggar's choose to have?

How does it affect you how many kids I choose to have??

I am not pointing fingers that I wouldn't point right back at myself.  I have been there.

There was a time in my life where I would look at families with 12 kids, or families like the Duggar's who just can't seem to get enough...  and I would think they were crazy!

I couldn't even fathom what they were thinking.  

But...

It didn't make me angry.  I never felt a desire to say mean and hateful things to or about them.

I didn't understand them, and that was OK.

I honestly didn't really care.  I just thought they were odd.

And then I had kids.  And now...  I understand.

I understand why someone would want several, even dozens of kids.

I may not even really be able to explain it... but I understand it.

Does it matter to me how many kids you have?  If you have one, or if you have 12?  No.

And should it matter to you how many kids I have?   If I have 2, or if I have 5?  No.

Let's focus on our own families.  Our own lives and our own loved ones.

And let's leave others... who may seem a little different from us...  alone.

In my opinion, Psalm 127 says it best:

3-5  Don't you see that children are God's best gift?
          
the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?
      Like a warrior's fistful of arrows
          are the children of a vigorous youth.
      Oh, how blessed are you parents, 
          with your quivers full of children! 
      Your enemies don't stand a chance against you;
          you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.

(The message)

and just for fun...


(Michelle - I am so, so sorry for your loss.  My heart is breaking for you and your family right now.  You are all in my prayers!)



Related Posts with Thumbnails