12.10.2011

homemade condensed cream of chicken soup

I promised you that this super quick, easy homemade version of condensed cream of chicken soup would get it's own post soon...

So here it is!

(I apologize for this picture, but there's really no way to make
condensed soup look pretty.  There's just no way.)

This stuff is amazing.  Seriously amazing.

I'm pretty sure I won't ever go back to buying cream of anything soups again.

Why?  Well, for starters...  I really like knowing exactly what's in my food.

But even more important?

This homemade stuff takes only seconds to throw together, and it's all stuff you keep in your cupboards!

Oh and did I mention it tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff?  Because it does.

I actually licked the spoon after I made this.  I bet you've never done that with your can of cream of chicken soup!

(Oh if I want cream of mushroom soup, I will just add sauteed chopped mushrooms to this same recipe.  And sauteed celery for cream of celery!)

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
adapted from Tammy's Recipes
this recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups, or the equivalent of 1 regular can of condensed soup

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup lowfat milk, divided (1/4 cup + 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon paprika (or cayenne, if you like a little spice!)
salt & pepper, to taste
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons flour

Directions:
In a small saucepan, bring the chicken stock, 1/4 cup milk and all the spices to a boil over high heat.  In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk and the flour until smooth.

Whisk the flour/milk mixture into the boiling stock mixture and continue whisking and cooking until it has reached the thickness you desire and until the 'floury' taste is gone.

Use as needed in your recipes!

(Try my Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole...  a perfect place to use this recipe!)



Related Posts with Thumbnails