1.24.2012

homemade powdered laundry detergent... with Dr. Bronner's!

Yesterday I whipped up a batch of laundry detergent in less than 5 minutes.

Yep, it's true...  and I can't even think about going to the store in less than 5 minutes, much less get there, buy laundry soap and get back home!


I have made homemade laundry detergent before (this whipped version!) and love how economical it is...

But I must say this method is my favorite so far, just because of the ease of prep.

I couldn't believe how fast it came together!!

I also started my big laundry day and the clothes are coming out great.  I especially love the faint smell of peppermint...  yum!

I used Dr. Bronner's soap (I used peppermint for this batch because I sent my husband to the store, but I would love to try the lavender next time!) because I am not a huge fan of the smell of Fels-Naptha bar soap.

You can find 20-Mule Team Borax and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not the same as baking soda!) in your store's laundry aisle.  Baking soda will be in the baking aisle where baking soda is.  Or in your cupboard.  :o)

Dr. Bronner's soap will be with the organic natural stuff (not with the regular soaps probably!) or you can order it online here!

Try this next time you are about to run out of laundry soap.  If you're like me, you may never go back to buying pre-made again!!

**This batch makes about 4 1/2 cups of Detergent, or 36 loads.**

Because it is so easy to whip up, I like to make a smaller batch for storage reasons.  Feel free to double, triple or whatever this recipe to make as much as you'd like to make and store at one time!!

Homemade Powdered Dr. Bronner's Laundry Detergent Recipe
adapted from Heart Cries

Ingredients:
1 bar Dr. Bronner's soap (or Fels-Naptha, if you can't find Dr. Bronner's!)
1 1/2 cups Borax
1 cup baking soda
1 cup washing soda

Directions:
Grate the bar of soap using the large holes of your box grater, or a food processor shredding attachment like I did.

Then, if you have a food processor, dump the shredded soap in the processor with the regular blade attachment and pulse until you have small bits.  If you don't have a food processor, and your shreds are fairly large, chop them up with a large knife until they are smaller.

In a large bowl, mix together the grated soap, borax, baking soda and washing soda until combined.

Dump this into a lidded container and use 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) per full load of laundry!



Related Posts with Thumbnails