1.20.2012

coffee cake for one

I couldn't resist trying this when I saw the idea online.

I love coffee cake...  it's one of my favorite foods!

But I don't always love making a big pan when I'm just craving something sweet with my morning coffee, and then proceeding to eat that whole pan over the course of the day.


This recipe keeps my self-control in check.

One mug.  One serving.  One coffee cake all for me!

(Of course, if you make 2 of these mug-fulls at once, then you don't have to waste the other half of that egg!)

Coffee Cake for One Recipe
adapted from Prudent Baby

Ingredients:
for the cake:
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 of a large egg*
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
for the topping:
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

In a smallish mug, stir together the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about 30 seconds.  Stir in the 1/2 egg and blend well.

(*To measure 1/2 an egg, break an egg into a small bowl or glass and whip gently with a fork.  Then use 1/2 that amount.)

Stir in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.

In a separate small bowl, mix together the butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon...  rubbing it all together with your fingers until moistened and crumbly.

Dump this mixture on top of the batter in the mug and bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on the size of your mug!) until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean!



Related Posts with Thumbnails