8.05.2011

7-layer turtle bars

We camp once a year.  Every year I swear I will never do it again while I have Littles, but by the time the next August rolls around I seem to have forgotten why I said that.

Hmmm...  It's kind of like childbirth that way, isn't it?!  ;o)  (Unless you're a birth-addict like me, of course...  who would happily labor and give birth over and over again...  If I didn't have to be pregnant over and over again, that is!)

Back to the topic...  This weekend is our annual camping trip.  Again I vaguely remember swearing not to go (as I do every year) but as usual I cannot remember why.

I'll have to let you know when I get back and have figured it out again, so you all can remind me next year!

Anyways, when I start writing out my packing list for camping... the top of the list says "What to Bake".  'Cause we all know camping is all about the food, right?

This year on the list: these yummy 7-layer Turtle Bars, and a pan of Amaretto-spiked Blueberry Crumb Bars (recipe to come next week)!  Maybe I'll even bake another treat or two... depending on how my day goes.



These bars are reminiscent in style to the classic 7-layer-bars that most of us are familiar with, but with a few twists.  I think they are great, and I hope you agree!

7-layer Turtle Bars Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Line a 9x13" pan with foil and butter the foil generously.

In a small bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and butter until moistened.  Dump into the prepared pan and press down firmly to cover the bottom.

Sprinkle evenly, in order, over the crust:  chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, marshmallows & pecans.

Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the whole dish.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.  Let cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting!


Related Posts with Thumbnails