6.08.2012

rhubarb crumble bars, redone... a bigger batch!

I was supposed to be packing yesterday for this weekend, but I just couldn't get away from this overpowering urge to bake something.

Specifically something rhubarb.


You see, I had made a big batch of rhubarb sauce earlier this week and I didn't want to freeze it...  I wanted to enjoy it now!

These crumble bars are absolutely amazing.  I just can't emphasize that enough.

Even thinking about making them gets me drooling...  and the smell while they are baking?

Heavenly!

So, I did what any sane baker would do...  I ignored the packing, made the boys and I a big batch of popcorn and got to work on these bars!


Give these bars a try next time you want to spoil your family and friends with an amazing rhubarb treat!

Rhubarb Crumble Bars Recipe
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups butter, room temperature
2-3 cups rhubarb sauce

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x13" baking dish with foil or parchment paper and then butter the foil.

In your mixer bowl, place the first 7 ingredients (everything except for the butter and sauce) and mix until combined. Add in the butter and mix until everything is moist, crumbly and combined.

Dump about two-thirds of the mixture (no need to measure, just guesstimate!) into your prepared pan and press firmly. Spread the rhubarb sauce evenly over the crust.

Take the remaining crust mixture and crumble it evenly over the top.  Press down very gently.

Bake for 60-75 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.  Let the bars cool completely in the pan and then lift out by the foil and cut into bars to serve.

These freeze amazingly, so don't be scared to make this big batch!  :o)  (But if you'd prefer a smaller batch, click here for my original smaller recipe!)



Related Posts with Thumbnails