6.05.2012

stepping out of my comfort zone...

I don't know how many of you know this about me, but I am painfully shy.

Put me in a room full of people and I will most likely find a cozy corner, people watch and keep to myself unless someone comes and starts a conversation with me.

And sometimes even that makes my heart race!

That's not to say I don't love those conversations when they happen, because I do, but getting there is so awkward and difficult for me.

I told you... painful!

I don't like this trait that I have, and I always try to convince myself that it's not true.  Before I walk into a room I tell myself that I will be outgoing and talkative!

And then I get two feet farther into the room and my shell closes right back up and I find my non-threatening corner and observe.

It's pathetic really.  I just can't seem to shake this personality trait and it drives me nuts.

Seriously...  I even find myself running dialogue in my head of what I would say, or would have said, if I could.  But I usually can't!

Fortunately for me, I married a man who is my polar-opposite in this area.  He is incredibly outgoing, carefree, loud, and boisterous!

He makes up for all my quiet shortcomings, although in many ways I'm sure his outgoing personality actually helps me hide behind my introversion.

I don't really have to step out of my comfort zone when he's around, and I like that...  but it definitely doesn't push me to work harder!

So, this weekend I am stepping completely out of my comfort zone.  And I'm not even taking my husband/safety net!

I am going to a food bloggers conference in Seattle (BlogHer Food '12) and at this point, I don't know one person who is going.  Craziness isn't it?!

My husband is actually the one who encouraged me to sign up when they first announced the conference, especially since it is so close to home this time.  And I am glad he did...

But boy am I nervous!  :o)

Although, I think the excitement of two full days kid-free (well, except for the tiny one in my belly who will be tagging along!) is outweighing the nerves quite a bit.  I am so excited for this little burst of me-time!

And hopefully I will come home from this boundary-pushing weekend with a bit more boldness... and some new friends!

(Oh, and if you happen to be going to BlogHer Food...  come say Hi to me and help me push out of my comfort zone!  :o)  I'll be the fidgety, very pregnant one sitting near the back somewhere with a shy smile and frequent bathroom-breaks!)




Related Posts with Thumbnails