9.22.2011

a flop... because I'm not perfect!

a.k.a. Pumpkin Pecan Praline Granola... That Didn't Turn Out!

I was so excited about this granola!  I loved loved loved the flavors, and imagined myself eating handful after handful of pumpkin-y goodness.

But then I took it out of the oven...


The flavor was exactly as I dreamed it would be!  Full and rich and spicy and oh so good!  

But the texture...  ugh.  Chewy. But not in a good way.  Dense and heavy and just plain frustrating.  

It was not a total loss, of course.  I will still stir it into yogurt, or maybe even stir it into my slow cooker steel-cut oatmeal before cooking it at night.  But I am mourning the loss of my dream!

Can you help?  Are you a granola-making-afficionado with tips for me??  I know that this is a low-fat recipe, and maybe that's just the problem right there....  But maybe it's something else?

Here's the recipe...  look at it and see if you can help me figure out where I went wrong!


Low-Fat Pumpkin Pecan Praline Granola Recipe
adapted from two peas & their pod

Ingredients:
5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped or whole pecans

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325ºF.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, spices & pecans.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.

Spread on the lined baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes until nice and toasty and golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes if you like looser granola, or stirring once or twice if you like bigger chunks of granola.

Cool completely before storing in tupperware!


Related Posts with Thumbnails