10.17.2011

slow cooker eggnog steel-cut oatmeal

As I sat there sipping my eggnog-laced coffee the other day, I couldn't help but think about all the other ways I could possibly enjoy one of my favorite parts of the holiday season*.

I love the holidays so so much.  Every tiny little thing about them!  Of course, I especially look forward to the food...  and the eggnog!

Eggnog latte's, and eggnog-latte sugar cookies...  eggnog-frosted nutmeg cookie logs and eggnog and coffee ice creams eaten at the same time...

So, I decided to take my favorite Slow Cooker Steel-Cut Oatmeal recipe and turned it into Eggnog Oatmeal for the holidays!  Oh My Yum!!!  What a perfect breakfast!


Besides just loving the ease of this recipe (and how great it tastes!) I just can't help but love how amazing it makes my house smell.

For a perfect morning, I set my coffee maker to automatic, throw some oatmeal together in the crockpot and get to wake up to sheer joy.

I have a feeling I will be making this breakfast a lot this winter...  all the way through until the stores stop carrying eggnog!

Slow-Cooker Eggnog Steel-Cut Oatmeal Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
5 cups water
2 cups eggnog
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
Stir everything together in your slow cooker. Turn on low and cook for 8 or so hours (while you sleep!).

When it's done in the morning, it will still look a bit funny but give it a good stir and it will all come together perfectly!

Serve with a bit of brown sugar if you like your oatmeal on the sweeter side, and more eggnog drizzled on top with a pinch of fresh ground nutmeg.

You can store any leftovers in the fridge to heat up later!  (This amount makes enough for 4-5 big bowls of oatmeal.)

*West Bend sponsored this week's "Crockpot Recipes" theme for the Holiday Recipe Exchange over at GoodLife Eats and My Baking Addiction!

Related Posts with Thumbnails